West Jefferson To Offer Free Carotid Artery Screenings, Stroke Risk Assessments
MARRERO, LA – As part of Stroke Awareness Month, West Jefferson will be offering free carotid artery screenings and personalized stroke risk assessments on Friday, May 6, 2016, at West Jefferson Medical Center’s Fonseca Auditorium, 1101 Medical Center Blvd., in Marrero, LA, from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Stroke is the 5th leading cause of death in the United States and the leading cause of disability. The goal during Stroke Awareness Month is to teach the public signs, symptoms and prevention measures that they will remember all year long. A stroke can affect anyone at any time.
West Jefferson, in partnership with the Culicchia Neurological Clinic, will offer:
• Free carotid artery screenings from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. First come, first served.
• Personalized stroke risk assessments from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
• Glucose, blood pressure and BMI screenings from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
• $5.00 cholesterol screenings from 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
• Education on strokes, activities/ games, door prizes and stroke empathy activities (how would you do everyday activities, if one side of your body is paralyzed).
Speakers will include:
• Physical Medicine & Rehab Physician, Dr. Andrea Toomer – Signs & Symptoms of Stroke. As a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation, Dr. Toomer works with patients to restore their function and movement. “It’s not just about life – It’s about quality of life,” she insists.
• Stroke Survivor – David Adams – He had stroke at 43 and couldn’t speak after the stroke. With a lot of intense therapy, he is now a speaker and advocate of stroke education.
This year’s theme is Think F.A.S.T:
• Fast: Face drooping
• Arm: Arm weakness
• Speech: Speech difficulty
• Time: Call 9-1-1