Noshing For Nothing On National Dessert Day
Louisiana’s restaurants served up $8.9 billion in sales last years and foodservice jobs make up 11 percent of employment throughout the state, according to www.restaurant.org.
I’m not sure how much I’ve contributed to the gastronomic kitty, but I do know it was disproportionally spent on desserts.
From king cakes at Manny Randazzo’s, to Baba au Rhums and decadent piping hot chocolate with whipped cream at Angelo Brocato’s Gelateria and Pastricceria, banana cream pie at Emeril’s, creole cream cheese cheesecake at Irene’s, warm bread pudding and hot whiskey sauce at The Gumbo Shop, creamy, dreamy wedding cake and strawberry frozen yogurt swirls at Todd’s Frozen Yogurt to lots and lots of doberge from Gambino’s, Maurice’s and Zuppardo’s, I kicked in my fair share.
For National Dessert Day, on Sunday, Oct. 14, local restaurants and merchants will be “giving back” to people like me, and Offers.com recently compiled a list of lagniappe where you can score some delicious desserts for free:
• Baskin-Robbins: Get a free regular-sized scoop when you download the Baskin-Robbins App.
• Cold Stone Creamery: Get two creations for the price of one by joining My Stone Cold Club. Join now because it may take up to 24 hours to receive your BOGO email.
• Dairy Queen: Get a free small Blizzard by downloading the DQ App, plus gain access to more exclusive deals.
• Kohl’s: At-home ice cream and gelato makers are currently up to $50 off at Kohl’s.
• Krispy Kreme: Get a free doughnut when you sign up for the Simple & Sweet rewards program.
• Mrs. Fields: Craving cookies? Use this promo code to get 15 percent off any order through the end of the month.
• Outback Steakhouse: Enjoy a salted caramel cookie skillet for only $5.49.
• Shari’s Berries: Get 25 percent off when you order a full dozen Gourmet Dipped Fancy Strawberries.
• Yogurtland: Free three oz. when you get a Real Rewards Card.