Mayor Cantrell Greets Students, Consuls for International Education Appreciation Day
NEW ORLEANS – On Tuesday, Nov. 13, Mayor LaToya Cantrell celebrated the value of international education and exchange worldwide with New Orleans’ international scholars and students with International Education Appreciation Day at the George and Joyce Wein Jazz and Heritage Center. Details of the event were shared in a press release.
Mayor Cantrell joined Office of International Relations director Rosine Pema Sanga to greet the educators and students while honoring consuls from Austria, France, Germany and Mexico. She noted that New Orleans is the proud home to seven different colleges and universities – including her alma mater, Xavier University.
“This is what today is truly all about: celebrating our international students who make up the fabric of the city of New Orleans, deciding to come and be a part of this great city as you learn and grow and develop. And many of you stay,” said mayor Cantrell, who as a city councilmember advocated for the recognition of international education in New Orleans through the Welcoming City Program. “Understand your connection to this city helps economically, it’s tied to the culture and advances the culture of this city, but it’s also the industries that we need to diversity in the city of New Orleans. You bring that.”
The event also served to recognize the City’s sister-city relationship and the University of New Orleans’ (UNO) partnership with the city of Innsbruck, Austria. Students from Innsbruck are currently participating in UNO’s exchange program; students from UNO will participate in a program in Innsbruck in the summer of 2019.
Mayor Cantrell and Pema Sanga recognized several international educators across New Orleans:
- LaTesha Charbonnet Gonzales, UNO’s Program Director of Intensive English Language Program
- Gűnter Bischof, Director of Center Austria at the University of New Orleans; and Gertraud Griessner, Project Coordinator of Center Austria
- Alea M. Cot, the University of New Orleans’ Assistant Provost for International Education
- Debbie Danna, Loyola University’s Director of the Center for International Education
- Aurea Diab, Dillard University’s Interim Director of the Center for Intensive English Language Program.
- Kristy Magner, Tulane University’s Director of the Office of International Students and Scholars
- Josephine Okoronkwo, Southern University-New Orleans Director of the Student Development Center.
- Torian L. Lee, Xavier University’s Director of the Center for Intercultural & International Programs
- Christina J. Thomas, UNO’s Director of the Office of International Students and Scholars
- Ana Wilson, Delgado Community College’s International Student Advisor
- Representing the consuls were:
- Honorary Consul of Austria: Phillip Polori
- Legal Department Consul of Mexico: Consul Lorena Salazar
- General Consul of France Vincent Sciama
- Honorary Consul for the Federal Republic of Germany: Susanne Veters Cooper