Crescent City Farmers Market Returns To The French Market Next Week
NEW ORLEANS – Starting Wednesday, October 12, 2016, the weekly fresh Crescent City Farmers market will be held Wednesdays from 1:00 p.m. -5:00 p.m. in the open air French Market in the French Quarter, with complimentary 2-hour parking for CCFM shoppers, plus local live acoustic music and special programming including:
• Doc at the Market: Health Educator Eric “Doc” Griggs brings his “Get Checked. Get Fit. Get Moving!” program to the market for the reopening of Crescent City Farmers Market on October 12, at 2:30 p.m. His program reflects seasonal offerings of the market, and include a brief cooking demonstration plus health talk and fitness demonstration. Dr. Griggs appears on Fox 8 WVUE’s Morning Edition every Thursday morning at 7:30 a.m. and hosts a radio broadcast every Thursday, “The Doc Griggs Show,” on WBOK 1230AM from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• Wednesday Walking Tours: Local tour guide Dave Thomas offers a complimentary French Market culinary history tour each Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. that begins in A Tisket A Tasket book and gift shop in the French Market District and ends at the Crescent City Farmers Market, where Market Umbrella staff explain the Wednesday market offerings and how this market fits into the larger landscape of New Orleans farmers markets.
• Making a Jazz Gumbo: The New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park partners with the French Market to create a sensory tour of the history of jazz and gumbo in this monthly offering during CCFM. On the last Wednesday of each month, starting Wednesday, October 26, three jazz musicians and educators from the Jazz Park play alongside local historian, tour guide, and cooking demonstrator Dianne “Gumbomarie” Honoré who explains the origins of gumbo and walks the audience through her family recipe, offering samples at the end.
Additional events at the French market include:
• 8th Annual Boo Carré Trick or Treating Event in the French Market on Saturday, October 15, at Dutch Alley, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Complimentary trick or treat bags and treat sheets will be given to kids in costume and there will be a petting zoo, live music, craft activities and more.
• The Crescent Park Bazaar returns to the Third Saturday of each Month: October 15 and November 19, from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Crescent Park Bazaar features local artisans, food trucks and more on the Mandeville Wharf in the newly opened Crescent Park.
• Zack Smith Workshops offered at Crescent Park October 15 and 22.
For more information about Smith’s Sunrise/ Sunset Photography Workshop click here.
For more information about Smith’s Piety Gardens Photo Walk Landscape Macro/ Photography workshop click here.