City To Host Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day Saturday
NEW ORLEANS – The City of New Orleans Department of Sanitation will host a Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day on Saturday, May 13, from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the city’s Recycling Drop-Off Center, 2829 Elysian Fields Ave.
Items accepted on Saturday, May 13 include: pesticides, antifreeze, drain cleaner, bleach, garden chemicals, paint (latex and oil based), paint thinner, varnish, flammable liquids, muriatic acid, mercury devices, aerosols, grout, pool shock, household cleaners, oil, gasoline, and automobile batteries.
Items accepted at all monthly (second Saturday) Recycling Drop-Off Events include: paper (newspaper, magazines, office paper, junk mail, phone books), ink jet cartridges, toner cartridges, digital cameras, DVRs, digital picture frames, metals (aluminum, steel, tin), laptops, stereos and speakers, plastics (#1 through #7), printers and fax machines, telephones, cords, systems, cell phones, beepers, pagers, uninterruptible power supplies, security systems, computers, processors, monitors, circuit boards, GPS devices, Xboxes, PlayStations, Wiis, MP3 players, DVD movies and video games, household batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, incandescent light bulbs, Mardi Gras beads, glass (limit 50 lbs.),televisions, microwave ovens (limit 4), and tires (limit 4).
The following items cannot be accepted: tanks, explosives, radioactive materials, medical waste, asbestos, or hazardous waste from businesses or schools. These items should not be thrown away with regular garbage or placed in curbside recycling containers.
Proof of Orleans Parish residency will be required in the form of a valid driver’s license or a motor vehicle inspection sticker.
The city’s Recycling Drop-Off Center reserves the right to limit the quantities accepted.
The remaining schedule for the Recycling Drop-Off Center this year includes:
• May 13: Recycling Drop-Off Day and Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day
• June 10: Recycling Drop-off Day
• July 8: Recycling Drop-Off and Shred Day – Iron Mountain will securely and confidentially shred up to 50 lbs. of documents at no charge as a community service
• Aug. 12: Recycling Drop-Off Day
• Sept. 9: Recycling Drop-Off Day
• Oct. 14: Recycling Drop-Off and Shred Day – Iron Mountain will securely and confidentially shred up to 50 lbs. of documents at no charge as a community service
• Nov. 11: Recycling Drop-Off Day
• Dec. 9: Recycling Drop-Off and Shred Day – Iron Mountain will securely and confidentially shred up to 50 lbs. of documents at no charge as a community service
Other vendors providing free services to the community in partnership with the Department of Sanitation are the Capital Area Corporate Recycling Council (CACRC) (electronics recycling), Republic Services (single stream recycling) and The Green Project (latex paint).