Celebrity Guests To Appear At Pizza Nola's ‘SharkFest’ In Lakeview
NEW ORLEANS – Will Samuels, co-owner of Lakeview’s Pizza Nola, will host “SharkFest,” a day-long, free viewing party with celebrity appearances and interviews, children’s events and activities, and educational, food and cocktail demonstrations leading up to the premiere of the SyFy Channel original movie “Sharknado 4: The 4th Awakens,” on Sunday, July 31, 2016, at 141 W. Harrison, from 1:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
“This year is going to be our fourth Sharknado party and it’s going to be bigger and better than ever,” said Samuels. “With this year’s movie premiere being scheduled on a Sunday, this allows us to have a whole day of shark-related events and sessions in addition to a Sharknado movie marathon. It’s SharkFest! Or even better, SharkACon.”
The fourth installment of the very successful series, Sharknado 4 features returning stars Ian Ziering and Tara Reid who are forced once again to step up to battle sharknadoes which are striking Las Vegas. Returning to the movie are David Hasselhoff and Cassie Scerbo who are joined by Gary Busey, Cheryl Tiegs, Ryan Newman, Tommy Davidson and an impressive array of celebrity cameos.
SHARKFEST Schedule of Events:
• Meet Kerry Cahill and Thomas Murphy from Free State of Jones: Kerry Cahill and Thomas Murphy are familiar faces in Hollywood South both having appeared in many feature films and television shows produced around the region including Terminator: Genisys, True Detective, NCIS: New Orleans, and Salem. Both can currently be seen in the critically-acclaimed Free State of Jones. They’ll give us their take on the local production scene and talk about how to survive as working actors in New Orleans. (Hosted by Leslie Snadowsky, Biz New Orleans) (1:00 p.m.)
• The Sharknado Phenomenon: A talk with the writer and director: From the first movie three years ago, the Sharknado franchise has become a cultural phenomenon, setting ratings records for basic cable and dominating trending topics on Twitter. Via video, we’ll chat with the movies’ writer and director to discuss their newly iconic status in the world of pop culture. (1:45 p.m.)
• Food Demo: Mock Shark Fin Soup and other Shark Delicacies: Shark Fin Soup has been a luxury menu item in China for centuries yet it has generated controversy in recent years due to ethical and environmental concerns about sharks. Chef James Cullen joins us to discuss the history and controversy behind this soup and to demonstrate a tasty alternative. (Hosted by Todd Price, Times-Picayune/Nola.com) (2:30 p.m.)=
• “Why Sharks Matter”: Learning with the Audubon Institute: Sharks have more to fear than just chainsaws. The Aquarium and Zoo Association recently designated sharks as one of their "Saving Animals From Extinction” campaign animals. The Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and Audubon Nature Institute join us to let us know Why Sharks Matter. (Hosted by Mark Schleifstein, Times-Picayune/Nola.com) (3:00 p.m.)
• Meet Ann Mahoney from The Walking Dead: As Olivia on TV’s The Walking Dead, she has no fear battling zombies, but the actress portraying her admits to having “an irrational fear of sharks.” We’ll talk to New Orleans-based actress Ann Mahoney to find out the answers to none of Season 7’s burning questions, but we will learn about her experiences on the show as well as her new series in which she has a very special connection to Elvis. (Hosted by Eve Troeh, WWNO-FM) (3:30 p.m.)
• Cocktail Demo: the “Shark Attack” cocktail: Internationally-renowned bartender Daniel Victory and Camille Whitworth of downtown’s new restaurant Victory discuss the emergence of New Orleans’ craft cocktail scene and demonstrate how to make a “Shark Attack” cocktail which pairs well with the Sharknado classics. (4:15 p.m.)
• The Making of a "Mockbuster": The Story of Asylum Entertainment: Meet the folks behind Asylum Entertainment: the production company behind the Sharknado series as well as a whole slew of SyFy Channel classics including the hit series Z-Nation. Founders David Michael Latt and Sherri Strain give us a behind-the-scenes look at the company’s astounding string of successes and discuss what’s involved in the making of a “Mockbuster.” (4:45 p.m.)
• Food Demo: The Perfect Summer Ceviche: It’s the perfect tasty and healthy summer treat and can be made in the comfort of your own home. Jennifer Samuels, Prepared Foods Team Leader at Whole Foods Uptown (and co-owner of Pizza Nola), demonstrates some quick and easy ways you can prepare this dish. (5:30 p.m.)
• Meet Rob Kerkovich from NCIS: New Orleans: Rob Kerkovich of NCIS: New Orleans joins us to talk about how he has embraced living in the Big Easy, give a look behind the scenes of the hit TV show, and discuss how he is included on today’s schedule of events despite having nothing to do with Sharknado. (Hosted by Carolyn Scofield, Tulane University) (6:00 p.m.)
• Arts & Crafts with the Krewe of Sharknadeaux: The fun-loving members of the Krewe of Sharknadeaux show us how they created some of their throws from this year’s Krewe of Chewbacchus parade and give us a fun arts & crafts project suitable for any Sharknado-related occasion. (Throughout the day)
Times and events are subject to change.
Events will take place under a tent in the pizzeria’s parking lot as well as in the restaurant itself. Food and drinks will be available for sale from the restaurant, and participants are encouraged to bring folding chairs (no outside food or drinks).
The event is free.
Pizza Nola is open daily with dine-in and carryout service as well as delivery to 70124, 70005, UNO and beyond. On Fridays through Sundays, the restaurant offers a full breakfast (including delivery) from Bawk beginning at 7:00 a.m.