Attendance Down For 15th Anniversary Satchmo SummerFest Presented By Chevron
NEW ORLEANS – Fewer people attended this year’s Satchmo SummerFest presented by Chevron than last year.
Organizers said in 2014 the Fest hosted more than 57,000 attendees. This year, the 3-day 15th anniversary celebration of the event attracted 36,602 who celebrated Louis Armstrong on his birthday weekend.
A $5 admission charge to enter the Festival grounds at The Old U.S. Mint was introduced at this year’s Fest.
Prior to Satchmo SummerFest's opening day, the New Orleans Convention and Visitor's Bureau reported that citywide hotel occupancy was projected to be over 80% for festival weekend.
At this year’s Fest, the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina was commemorated with a special symposium of “New Orleans musical first responders.”
Satchmo SummerFest also received unprecedented attention with local, national and international media coverage and attendance from outlets including People Magazine, The Washington Post, Associated Press, New York Times, ABC News, The Guardian UK (U.S. edition), National Public Radio, Los Angeles Times, Parade Magazine, Downbeat Magazine and others.
Festival programming included a Satchmo Symposium, more than 40 musical performances by the “best of the best” of New Orleans Traditional Jazz, Brass Bands, and Contemporary Jazz, Pops' Playhouse for kids, as well as a number of special events including:
• A screening of the 1956 film, High Society at Le Petit Theatre
• Five second line parades (including two exclusively for children)
• A new exhibit at Louisiana State Museum's Old U.S. Mint, “Satchmo: His Life in New Orleans,” curated by the Armstrong House Museum (New York) and the Louisiana State Museum (New Orleans)
• Traditional Jazz Mass at St. Augustine Church in Treme featuring Yoshio and Keiko Toyama, Treme Brass Band, and the St. Augustine Church choir
• Trumpet Tribute to Louis Armstrong, this year featuring Kermit Ruffins, James Andrews, Kid Merv, John Michael Bradford, and Yoshio Toyama
• A powerful and moving tribute to Travis Hill 'Trumpet Black' by Corey Henry and the Treme Funktet
• Inaugural 'Spirit of Satch' awards, presented to individuals and organizations who work tirelessly to support, educate, and celebrate Traditional Jazz and Louis Armstrong
Satchmo SummerFest, a celebration of the life, legacy, and music of Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong, always falls on the weekend closest to his birthday – August 4th (Armstrong would be 114 today).
French Quarter Festivals, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization, which produces three festivals annually – French Quarter Festival presented by Chevron in April, Satchmo SummerFest presented by Chevron in August and Christmas New Orleans Style in December.
French Quarter Festivals, Inc. promotes the Vieux Carré and the City of New Orleans through high quality special events and activities that showcase the city’s culture and heritage, contribute to the economic well-being of the community and instill increased pride in the people of New Orleans.