If You Celebrate, They Will Come
New Orleans touted as a “must see” destination in 2018 by major publications
Let me tell you a secret: New Orleanians love to be told how special they are and how different their city is from the rest of the U.S. The pride of place here runs through dinner conversations, bumper stickers, porch flags, sartorial choices and wedding themes. It’s everywhere. I’ve never worn a shirt about my town in my life. They make you move to New Jersey if you do that in New York City. Yet I own at least five t-shirts that tell the world I love New Orleans through quirky images and inside jokes.
So when major national and international publications and websites tout NOLA as a “can’t miss” destination in 2018, we all look at each other, smile our insider smiles and anticipate greeting the masses and sharing our town with them. For the most part. We still have mixed feelings about short-term rentals, but that’s a topic for another time.
Perhaps the most prestigious coverage in the past few weeks comes from The New York Times, which ranked New Orleans as the No. 1 place to visit in 2018. The interactive article landing page features a short video of a second line, followed by beautiful early morning aerial footage of a sleepy French Quarter. The opening sentence of the piece tells us what we already know: “There is no city in the world like New Orleans.”
Another influential publication, Condé Nast Traveler, included New Orleans on its list of 18 best places to travel in 2018. They gave us the No. 5 spot and made the very valid point that there is so much to experience in NOLA that you should probably plan two trips here in 2018.
“As we celebrate our Tricentennial year in 2018, it is really encouraging and humbling to witness this recognition by so many publications and other media,” said Mark Romig, president and CEO of New Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation (NOTMC), in a press release. "Being chosen as top tier destination for travelers mirrors the hard work and dedication of the 89,000 men and women who make up the staff members of our wonderful hotels, restaurants and attractions as well as the thousands of additional people who are part of our diverse cultural economy.”
It isn’t just lists where New Orleans is making an impact. The website Travel Industry Today shared an article on “Why New Orleans is Important to America,” which provides an overview of our 300-year history and a glimpse of what our future may bring. As more writers visit New Orleans to cover our Tricentennial this year, we will see more in-depth coverage of our favorite topic. It positions us well to share our story with the rest of the world and entice travelers to add New Orleans to the top of their places to visit.
New Orleans’ other recent accolades include more than 25 media outlets including us on their 2018 lists:
- The New York Times 52 Places to Go in 2018, No. 1 destination
- Condé Nast Traveler’s 18 Best Places to Travel in 2018
- AARP’s Top U.S. Destinations for 2018, No. 1 destination
- Travel + Leisure’s 50 Best Places to Travel in 2018
- Fodor’s “Go List 2018”
- Frommer’s Travel Guides’ Best Places to Go in 2018
- Bloomberg Where to Go in 2018
- CNN Travel’s Best Vacation Spots for 2018
- USA Today Where will US Travelers Explore in 2018?
- Los Angeles Times Where are you going in 2018?
- The Globe and Mail UK Top 12 travel destinations to keep your sights on for 2018
- Harper’s Bazaar UK This is where everyone will be going on holiday in 2018
- Thrillist The 18 Best Places to Go for a Big Trip in 2018
- Associated Press A look at travel lists: Where to go in 2018
- AAA Via Magazine 8 Great Places to Visit in 2018
- The Rough Guides Best Places to Travel: The Rough Guide to 2018
- TripAdvisor Blog 30 Top USA Cities to Visit in 2018
- Expedia’s Viewfinder Travel Blog 18 cities that must be seen in 2018
- The Points Guy 18 Amazing Places to Travel in 2018
- The New York Times 10 Bargain Destinations for 2018
- ESSENCE 5 Beyoncé-Inspired Trips You Should Take In 2018
- Robb Report Best Places to Travel in February
- Condé Nast Traveler’s Where to go in February
- Travel + Leisure’s Best Places to Travel in the U.S. in February
- Thrillist Best Places to Travel in February
- Business Insider 13 of the best places to visit if you’re planning a vacation in February 2018