New Tchoupitoulas Studio Pumps Up Crescent City Cyclists
They call it the trim gym trend.
It’s when fitness fanatics become aspiring entrepreneurs by transforming a small space into a high energy showroom focused on one athletic discipline that caters to one particular type of customer.
According to Dow Jones & Co.’s MarketWatch, boutique fitness studios are considered the fastest growing sector of the gym industry.
Hold on to your seats because TOUR Cycle, located on 860 Tchoupitoulas St., is billing itself as the only boutique indoor cycling studio in town. They offer 35 stationary bikes on stadium-style seating with ambient lighting and heart pumping, music thumping, interval cardio workouts.
Mouton Long Turner Architects and contractor Jos. R. Labadot, Inc. helped create the 2,800 square foot interior build-out with an high end, ultra sleek look for owner Madeline Spiers, who just happens to be one of the studio’s 11 TOURguides.
While pursuing her dance career in New York City, Spiers began cycling in an effort to relieve knee pain from hours of training. Now, she leads off the chain spin classes with diverse and inspiring playlists. She’s also known to belt out a show tune from time to time.
Other TOURguides include Stephen, a member of the 610 Stompers, Jefferson Ballet Theatre and GNO-Triathlon, Brianna, the Captain of the Pelicans dance team, and her team members Rachel and Holly, whose class promises to “kick your butt in the saddle.”
TOUR Cycle celebrated its grand opening last week, just in time for fellow pedal pushers to work off some Thanksgiving carbs. They say participants can burn an average of 400 - 600 calories during a ride.
Indoor group fitness classes include:
• TOUR50 – A 50-minute indoor cycling class that includes interval training, resistance and speed training and upper body workouts.
• EnduranceTOUR – A 60-minute class that focuses on endurance training that includes an upper body arm workout.
• BlissTOUR – A 45-minute class focused on uplifting your inner-self through inspirational coaching, surrounded by candlelight and set to music to awaken the soul.
• TabataTOUR – A 45-minute class focusing on interval training aimed at burning fat. Drills consist of 20 second intervals of high-intensity, followed by 10 seconds of paced recovery, repeated for 4 minutes, with a 1 minute rest in between the multiple cycles.
• TeenTOUR – A 45-minute ride specifically designed for those aged 12 – 18 and a great way for teens to exercise along with friends to their favorite songs. A parent’s permission, a medical waiver and a release form are required to sign up.
• DateNightTOUR – A TOUR50 followed by refreshments; it’s a fun alternative to dinner and a movie.
• ThemeTOUR – A campy spin on the TOUR50 with Britney Spears, Madonna and Flashback to the 80s themed classes. Wigs and costumes are encouraged.
• TurfTOUR – Watch your favorite TOURguides battle it out on behalf of your favorite artists (Beyonce vs. JayZ, etc.) during this TOUR50 to see who will reign supreme.
Cyclists don’t have to become members to enjoy the aerobic atmosphere – they can pay as they ride. Individual classes can be purchased through TOUR Cycle’s app, website and in person at the studio, and seats and individual bikes can be reserved for the week ahead.
For more “boing” for your buck, TOUR Cycle offers multiple class packages including:
• First TOUR – $10
• Single TOUR – $26
• 5 TOUR Package – $125
• 10 TOUR Package – $240
• 15 TOUR Package – $345
• 20 TOUR Package – $440
• 50 TOUR Package – $1,050
• 100 TOUR Package – $2,000
To get a handle on the costs, TOUR Cycle even offers contracts with monthly auto pay options including:
• Petit TOUR – $220
• TOUR Moyen – $324.99
• Grand TOUR – $409.99
With the holiday season in full swing, TOUR Cycle is even selling stocking stuffer gift cards.
But, TOUR Cycle doesn’t brake for latecomers. If you don’t check in at least 5 minutes before a class starts, your bike will be given away to a cyclist on the waitlist and you’ll lose a riding credit. But, if space is available, you can participate in the next class to save your credit.
If you want to cancel a reservation, do so at least 12 hours prior to the class and that credit will be returned to your package to be used at another time.
TOUR Cycle in the Warehouse District is on track to attract TOURists (riders) who are geared to hop behind the handlebars and spin into shape. The studio’s goal is to transport clients to a place “where they can focus on achieving their personal best not only physically but also mentally and spiritually.”