University of Holy Cross Accounting Students to Offer Free Tax Return Preparation Assistance on Fridays and Saturdays
NEW ORLEANS - Beginning Friday, Feb. 8, University of Holy Cross (UHC) Tax Accounting students will provide free tax preparation assistance for low-to-moderate income New Orleans-area residents at its campus. UHC has partnered with the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) to offer the free tax preparation assistance throughout tax season from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays, from February 8 until April 13 (with the exception of March 8-9 as the university is closed for Mardi Gras break).
The free tax preparation will take place on the university’s campus at 4123 Woodland Drive in Room 1034. Additional details were shared in a press release.
Those qualifying for assistance should bring the following items:
- Proof of Identification
- Social Security Cards for the individual, their spouse and any dependents
- Birth dates for the individual, their spouse and any dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package (if one was received)
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identification number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Identification Number)
To prepare a married-filing jointly return, both spouses must be present.
The VITA Program offers free tax assistance to help low-to-moderate income people who need tax assistance. Certified volunteers receive training to help prepare basic tax returns. Most VITA sites offer free electronic filing. To locate additional VITA sites, call 1-800-906-9887.
For more information on this program, contact Lillian Grose, Assistant Professor, at 504-398-2230 or visit uhcno.edu.