Giving Back: Community Works
CW students ready to perform African Drumming in front of their family and friends
ABOUT COMMUNITY WORKS
Community Works offers afterschool and summer enrichment programs to over 850 youth daily throughout New Orleans. Our programs create an inclusive environment and aim to build equity in access to enrichment activities like art, music, dance, theater, STEAM, sports and career-visioning.
Since Community Works was founded in 2009, our programs have been proven to strengthen students’ self-confidence, engage students who may not benefit from traditional methods of teaching and shape students into leaders in their community. In action this can look like students writing their own song lyrics and performing in front of their peers or learning a new chess strategy and competing in a local tournament. Community Works programs are often the only enrichment received by many of the youth we serve and we have a network of over 100 qualified instructors who design project-based activities for those youth.
“I like the time, dedication and problem solving skills that Community Works provides to children that are having difficulties during the day.”- Chrisey S., parent.
“My son enjoys the variety of the activities and the curriculum, the social interaction with students of different ages and the artistic expression available after a day of traditional classes.” - Jason C., parent.
GiveNOLA Day – Look for Community Works on May 1st. givenola.org/communityworks
Arts + Action – Tap into your creative side with Community Works’ annual event, supporting afterschool and summer programs. Fun hands-on art activities, food, drinks, live music and more.
Follow us on social media or sign up for our newsletter at communityworksla.org to receive updates on this great event.
• Partners can reach out for additional information about bringing Community Works programs to your school and your students.
• Corporations can sponsor a class or bring Community Works student performers to their events.
• Looking to teach – CW is always looking for innovative enrichment instructors in all disciplines. Email us a resume and cover letter.
• Volunteering – experience the fun of Community Works classes alongside our instructors.
• Parents should visit our website to register their students for summer and afterschool programs.
For more information, please reach out to ToniAnn Laborde at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working to build a community of healthy and creative learners through programs that integrate arts, recreation and educational support.
CW students painting their way through afterschool